Monday, February 17, 2014

LATEST POEMS!


RESUME BUILDER
by matt burns

I seek this opportunity
But then I realize
That the only reason I’m doing it
Is to build my resume

And then I realize that
The only reason I’m doing most things
Is to build this resume
And what I realize is that this resume
Is basically a collection
Of things I don’t want to do
But I do them
Because I realize
It
Will
Look good
On a resume
Which is basically this piece of paper
Where things are supposed
To
Look
Good
For some employer out there
But all the things
On the resume
Are just not the things
That I’ve wanted to do with my life

The resume
Is 
Record of everything I’ve done
Not for myself
But for the pleasing of somebody
Or some many people
Outside of myself
A record of my existence
Not for myself
But for others





OK WITH MESSY HAIR
by matt burns

I’ve been playing the board game with her
For a while
Just playing
And laughing
And playing

I have to pee
I go to the bathroom
I flush
I turn and look in the mirror
And see my hair
It’s a mess

I realize I 
Never 
Would have looked like this before
If I knew a girl was around

I’ve become so comfortable around her
That I don’t care if my hair is a mess
I wore a stocking hat all day
And took it off
And my hair was a mess
And she still kissed me
With love

This is all new to me





THIS IS WHAT A CELEBRITY WOULD SEE
by matt burns

Out in the great wide open highway
The dead of winter
Passing by big boulders
Random houses covered in snow and small satellite dishes
Cold
Salty
Pale
Highway

If a celebrity were going on this road trip
They’d be seeing what I’m seeing
Their experience wouldn’t be any more magical
It would be just as dreary

The drone of the car
Rubber wheels against the chalky pavement
Cold, icy, dead scenery
It would be the same
All this is what a celebrity would see
But somehow this world seems like my world
And their world seems like it would be something else
But that’s not the case
This is what a celebrity would see





LONELY HOUSE ALONG THE HIGHWAY
by matt burns

There’s the lonely-looking house along the highway
With snow all over it
And a satellite dish on the chimney
Sucking in the entertainment

The house looks so depressing
And the world around it looks depressing
Highways don’t have much personality
Or soul
So maybe that’s what’s killing the mood

Or maybe it’s all subjective
What looks like a lonely place to me
Is home to somebody else
And what’s home to me
May be a lonely place for somebody else





NONYMOUS CHARITY
by matt burns

It’s about quarter to midnight
And I’m alone in the driveway shoveling snow
The plow comes by
And the driver sees me shoveling hard
He plows the end of the driveway for me
And I give him a smile
A wave
And a THANK YOU!

The plow drives off
He resumes plowing the roads
And passes the other driveways

He only helped me because I was there
Had I not been there he wouldn’t have helped
His charitable actions
Are announced with trumpets
He does his good deeds
With the expectation of an immediate thank you
From a living, breathing human being
There was nobody shoveling the other driveways
There was nobody in the driveways
Except God
But he passed God by
And didn’t help him out

I don’t judge
I’d do the same





ALL FOR FACEBOOK
by matt burns

He posts twice an hour
About how much he loves the girl
He posts photos of her
Couples photos

He can’t just tell her he loves her in person
He has to write it on Facebook
And tag her

He can't just write love poems to her
And read them to her aloud in a private room
He has to post them on Facebook
And tag her

He can't just dance with her and sing
He has to make a video of it with his smartphone
Post the video on Facebook
And tag her

His relationship is a trophy
That exists to look good on Facebook





I WISH THE PRESENT COULD BE THE FUTURE
by matt burns

There is a buffet with hot foods at the organic supermarket
The food is so good
It’s organic
And delicious
We both fill a box
And we pay and go sit in the dining area

I sit across the table from her
This is nothing too special now
I feel the present
I feel reality
It’s making my body feel pretty terrible like usual
But I’m well-experienced in these matters
I know how life works
I know that in a couple days
Or a couple weeks
A couple months
Years
It will be one of the most
Happiest
Memories
In my life

Happiness doesn’t reveal itself
Until you leave the present
And you enter the future

No comments:

Post a Comment