Wednesday, April 23, 2014

IT'S OK TO BE MISERABLE


DON’T FIGHT THE MISERY
by matt burns

I know that I’m supposed to love myself
And I’m supposed to think positive
And I’m supposed to be happy

But there are days
When I’m really quite miserable
Maybe not even for a specific reason
Maybe I’m hung over
Or maybe I ate some Hot Pockets 
Or some other microwaveable crap with additives
And artificial flavorings 
That tend to make me cranky…

Who knows why I’m miserable today
But for some reason I am
And I think I’m not alone
I think a lot of you out there are miserable some days

Well, sirs and ma’ams,
I can’t tell you how much better I feel
When I just admit that I’m miserable
And I decide to be OK with being miserable
And not fight it
Just say
I am miserable and it is what it is

Most of my pain
Most of my anxiety
Is born out of me fighting the misery
I’m ashamed that I’m miserable
I’m ashamed that I’m being negative
I’m ashamed that I’m not thinking positively
Because, fuck, we’re all supposed to be positive!
We’re all supposed to love ourselves
And be happy all the fucking time
That Pharrell Williams guy says BE HAPPY
Do what Pharrell says!

But I’m not happy all the fucking time
And I’m not going to fight it
Because fighting it makes me more miserable
And borderline insane

I am miserable
And I’m OK with it
It’s OK to be this way
Be miserable
It’s fine

No comments:

Post a Comment