Wednesday, July 16, 2014

DEATH EITHER WAY

This poem is dedicated to four deceased writers: Charles Bukowski, Hunter S. Thompson, F. Scott Fitzgerald and Ernest Hemingway...


DEATH EITHER WAY
by matt burns

I find myself
Facing this catch 22
With liquor
And my free-thinking capacities
Here we go

The less I drink
The more pain I feel being alive
But the more I drink
The less pain I feel, this is true
But the more brain cells I kill
Which also
Kind of
Withers away
Slowly 
At my life force
My brain cells
My clear thinking
And my free 
Thinking

Do away with the booze
And I’m very alive
My brain’s intact
I can think clearly
But I hurt so bad

Keep drinking
And I hurt less
But my brain withers
My thinking is foggy
And when I have less of a brain
I’m less of a human

That’s what stinks about this
Whole
Human consciousness thing...
Being fully alive in the world today hurts
So we drink
But drinking makes us less alive
So it’s all about finding a balance, I guess
Which is impossible

For the alcoholic trying to numb the pain
There is no such thing
As balance

No comments:

Post a Comment