Wednesday, July 16, 2014

WANDERING BOSTON

Bates Hall at the Boston Public Library.











WANDERING BOSTON
by matt burns

I walk the streets
I take the subway
I go to the public library
I roam Boylston
Newbury Street
Searching for that great poem to manifest itself

On the Green Line
I notice everybody’s buried into their smartphones
There’s got to be a poem there
But I got nothing new that hasn’t been said before

In the library
The bathroom is straight out of a horror movie
Shit, piss, blood, all over the urinals
There must be a poem there
But I don’t have anything except what I just said

I sit in the middle of Bates Hall
There are long
Wooden
Rectangular
Tables
With muted green lamps
Bookshelves line the walls
Domed ceilings
Murals
Beautiful architecture from many years ago
I thought this room would give birth to inspiration
It’s got that look to it
Like an early twentieth century writer wrote a novel in here
But all it’s given me is an erection
Because there are tons of beautiful girls in this room
I can’t even concentrate on poetry in here

I guess this is a poem
About a desperate search for a new poem
I thought with all the stuff going on in the city
I’d come up with multiple poems
But no dice

Maybe I should have just stayed at home
Because now I have to pee
And the closest bathroom is the horror show down the stairs
Also, I think my car’s getting ticketed as I speak

Staying at home
And writing about staring at my bedroom wall
Analyzing the squashed mosquito and its guts
Probably would have yielded a better poem
Than what I’m coming up with right now

Traveling
Urban activity
Tons of different people
Diversity
Culture
It doesn’t necessarily give birth
To much inspiration

The traveling poet roaming around an exciting place
It’s a Romantic concept
But the reality is that
It gives birth to bullshit

Stay at home
Stare at the wall
Analyze the bug juice
You don’t have to be worldly
To come up with good poems

Come to think of it
I think I’ve already written a poem
With this exact theme
Thus nothing new has even been written
Case in point
I should have stayed at home

No comments:

Post a Comment