Tuesday, June 3, 2014

EATING THE LOBSTER


EATING THE LOBSTER
by matt burns

It’s my first time eating lobster
It turns out the fantasy was better than the reality
It’s a lot of work
And it’s also pretty savage

Here’s this lobster
He was alive just before going into the pot
And then maybe twenty, thirty minutes later…
Here he is
Boiled and red
Everything is still intact
Especially his eyes
Which seem to stare at me, eerily
And I’m sure his soul’s still lingering nearby
Looking down on me
And calculating how much negative karma 
He’s going to bring my way

I have no idea what I’m doing
Do you just start biting into the thing?
My uncle shows me how to do it
You take the walnut-cracker device
And you crack at the claws and the bottom torso
You crack and crack
You peel off the shells

My aunt comes around with a hammer
“These lobsters have harder shells than normal!” she announces
She puts a claw on the floor of the deck
And hammers at it until the shell breaks

I give the whole process a try
Juices squirt everywhere
Guts and juice splatter all over my plastic bib
I cut my hands as I peel the hard shelling
My mouth waters as I crack and peel
I get the itch
I catch the lobster fever
I savagely rip apart the crustacean and find the meat
Then I drown the meat in butter

You start out slow
A little shy
Neat and clean
But you end with so much salivation
So much savagery
Search and destroy
Find that edible meat
Drown it in butter
And eat

This isn’t just about the eating
It’s about the process
People don’t just love the meat
They love the hunt
They love the destruction
Love the salivation
Love the savagery

That’s what eating lobster’s all about

No comments:

Post a Comment