Tuesday, June 10, 2014

THE MALL IN THE MIDDLE OF A TUESDAY


THE MALL IN THE MIDDLE OF A TUESDAY
by matt burns

Sometimes I like to randomly go to a big mall
In the middle of a day
And also preferably in the middle of the week
Like a Tuesday
I’m not sure why
I actually find it peaceful
It’s a little fantasyland
Yes, very consumer-based
And materialistic
But it’s still better than a normal Tuesday reality
Everything looks nice
And smells nice
And sounds nice
It’s all set up to appeal to the senses
So that people buy a lot of stuff
But if you can resist the urge to buy stuff you don’t really need
Everything is just nice to take in
And you save your money

I especially like the smells
The heavy perfumes
And colognes that punch you in the face
Popcorn
Pretzels
Cookies
And then the food court
Japanese cuisine
Italian pizza
Fried chicken
Steak and peppers…

Music plays over the speakers and the TV’s
It’s the top 40
Pop culture is everywhere
But that’s fine
It’s OK
I don’t know why I like all this
But I do
I’m not supposed to like it
I’m supposed to be one of those intellectual types
I’m supposed to feel uncomfortable in such an environment
And turn my nose up at the consumer culture
Those mindless shopping zombies!
But I like the people well enough
And I really like the mall
It’s so cool with the air conditioner
And it’s hot and summery outside
A whole different world
In a long, glass bubble

But I admit I can only handle it for so long
Maybe an hour maximum
And then I have to get the hell out of there

No comments:

Post a Comment