Friday, September 11, 2015

I NEED TO FORGET


I NEED TO FORGET
by matt burns

It's been fourteen years
And all you see on Facebook
Never forget
Never forget
Hashtag
#neverforget

I need to forget
Everybody feels they gotta relive it
So they "never forget"
But what's the point of terrorizing ourselves?
Doesn't that make 9/11 a perpetual terror machine?

And what is NEVER FORGET
But a slogan
Probably created by a government PR firm
So we keep on never forgetting
Terrorizing oursleves
And they keep on using the event as their wild card
Justifying whatever war
Whatever intervention
Whatever surveillance
Whatever raping of our constitutional rights
Whatever "Patriot" Act
That serves their latest agenda

I respect those who died
I respect those who rescued
Including the one last remaining rescue dog (I love dogs)
I respect the hell out of all 'em
But don't make me feel guilty for not terrorizing myself anymore
That's what those in power want
To make us feel real guilty
How dare you forget, they insinuate
Keep reliving those events
Over
And over
Again
So we can take your fear
Manipulate it
And use it to get what we want
#neverforget

No comments:

Post a Comment