Monday, May 26, 2014

HEY BIG GUY!


HEY BIG GUY!
by matt burns

I’m at the Subway sandwich shop
And there’s a guy in front of me in line
He’s very tan, probably Italian
And he wears a Backpack
He’s maybe in his 50s 
He seems a little sweaty, like he’s been walking a while
Or I think he may have just gotten off the city bus
And he says to the guy making his sandwich
“HEY BIG GUY!”
And then he says he wants a lotta extra mayo or something like that

The Subway employee making the sandwich
Is an East Indian man
A little short
And shy
And does not speak very good English

The Italian man ordering the sandwich looks damaged
From maybe a lifetime of putdowns
Maybe his father treated him like crap
And his mother thought he was never good enough
Maybe the kids at school gave him a hard time
The teachers, too
And coaches, gym teachers…

After a lifetime of putdowns
He seems happy to have found somebody he feels taller than
Both physically
And in terms of confidence
The man making his sandwich is his servant
For at least the next minute or two
And the Italian likes this

“HEY BIG GUY!”
Is his attempt to sound cool
And to make himself feel all the more superior
And to trick himself into thinking he’s always been this kind of person
Mr. Confidence
He relishes this opportunity to feel above somebody else

But he’s not really a dickhead about it
He’s just happy to be superior
Everybody is happy to be superior once in a while
Especially those of us who are insecure
And most of us are

No, I don’t think this guy’s a condescending dick
I understand where he’s coming from
I like to feel superior, too
Though I’m not so obvious about it

Just because I hide my power-trips
Doesn’t mean I don’t still have them

No comments:

Post a Comment