Saturday, May 3, 2014

FOUR POEMS ABOUT PALM TREES


A photo I took while driving on Hollywood Boulevard.
Here are four poems sparked by memories of when I was in Los Angeles a few years back...









I KISSED THE PALM TREE AND THE PALM TREE SAID FUCK OFF
by matt burns

I busted out of the American Airlines terminal at LAX
I saw the first palm tree I’d ever seen
I ran up to it, hugged and kissed it
Maybe it was just a Pacific Ocean breeze whistling by my ear
But I could have sworn that I heard the tree say FUCK OFF





SPIRITS BEHIND THE PALM TREES
by matt burns

I remember walking down Hollywood Boulevard
Rolling my suitcase over the pink and charcoal marble
The Hollywood stars passing beneath my feet
And I had a weird feeling…

I could feel
And in my mind’s eye I could see…
Spirits kind of poking their heads around the corners of buildings
And hiding out behind the palm trees
And they seemed to all be curious about me
Like they were checking me out
They were shy and timid
A little wounded
Some were even maybe traumatized
I think they knew I could feel them
And almost even see them

Hunter S. Thompson once said that Hollywood is like one giant graveyard
It’s true
I think there are several spirits just hanging out on the Boulevard
Stuck in some kind of middle plane
Lost and confused, kind of lingering around
Afraid to move on
While others maybe don’t want to move on
Unable to imagine a heaven better than Hollywood
Why leave the ‘place to be’?
They had heaven on earth
Why move on to any other alleged heaven?

And other spirits may just be residual energy
Like a skipping record
Repeating the same pattern
Looking for the brass ring of fame and fortune
It’s gotta be around here somewhere
Gotta be around here…

Hollywood is one place in the world
Where even if there aren’t many people around
You are very much NOT alone
You are in the presence of many
And you are being watched




WATCHING THE PALM TREE FROM THE BALCONY
by matt burns

I remember the first night in Hollywood
I was staying with a friend on North Cherokee
We got pretty drunk
We drank at the apartment
Then we drank in a small dog park
And then we went to a small bar on Highland

After last call we went over to the Chinese Theater
The cement forecourt was completely empty
It was quiet
And it was peaceful
Just me
My friend, his girlfriend
And the spirits

I hopped from one set of footprints
To the next
Fred Astaire
Clark Gable
Groucho Marx…

I went back to the apartment
I had a pretty good buzz
My friend went to bed
I sat outside on the stucco balcony
I saw the only palm tree visible
I stayed there on the balcony
And just stared at the palm tree moving in the breeze

All my life I had waited to see a palm tree
And I didn’t want to stop looking at it
I was there
In Hollywood
Finally
At the place to be

The sky started to mist
And the palm kept moving with the breeze
I didn’t want morning to come
It was just me and the palm tree
Together at last

Yes
I was in the place to be
The place to be was no longer in the future
The place to be
Was
The
Present




OLD PEOPLE HAVE DREAMS, TOO
by matt burns

It’s weird when you see an old lady in a small Hollywood neighborhood
She’s raking her yard or taking out the garbage
The old lady juxtaposed with the palm trees is strange
Like she’s an old woman playing in a playground
Seems out of place

But you have to remember
For some people,
Dreams never die
And they hold onto their dream
Until they’re very old
And until they die
And they want to stay close to the palm trees throughout

I really admire
And love
These people
Because most people allow their dream to die
By age
40
Or maybe earlier

If you can hold onto that dream
And stay close to the palm trees
Well through your 80s or even 90s
Even if you don’t achieve it
Then you’re my hero

No comments:

Post a Comment