Friday, May 16, 2014

TWO POEMS SPAWNED BY A DEATH


My dog died a couple of days ago and the feelings I experienced afterwards gave birth to these two poems...



A GOOD CRY
by matt burns

I’m 32-years-old
My dog died yesterday
I was pretty sad about his death
But I was even more concerned about how my other dog would react
I remembered the movie Bambi
Where the baby deer has to deal with the mother’s death
It was so sad

All this is what made me cry more than I’ve ever cried
Probably since I was about eight-years-old I’d never cried so hard
I’m pretty sure I haven’t shed much of a tear in years
I was pretty sure my tear ducts had dried out completely
Maybe my eyes have burned a bit, misted at times
But today I absolutely balled my eyes out
Over
And over
Again

In the end, it kind of felt cathartic
Like I needed it
Like it was a big build-up of sadness
And years of depression
Purged from my soul
One great, big detox
All I needed was the death of my dog
To push me over the edge
And wash all the melancholy out

I think it’s good to have a big, hard-core cry
Now and again
Even if you’re a man

Be a man
And cry

Cry like a man




DEATH IS LIFE
by matt burns

No matter how much you prepare for it
It comes
Obviously
It’s inevitable
And I’m not talking your own death
I’m talking the death of others

First, you’re shocked and feel nothing
Then it slowly seeps in
And seeps in even further
And further
And your stomach gets so twisted
And you feel sick
You can hardly walk
You don’t want to exist, think or feel
Every song you listen to is sad
Even if it’s bright and sunny out, it’s sad weather
Your job doesn’t matter
Career doesn’t matter
Money doesn’t matter
The only thing that matters is LOVE
For that person 
Or animal
But now they’re gone
Forever

Even if you believe in heaven
Or an afterlife
Death still absolutely destroys you
You want to stay in a room the rest of your life
Make no friends
Marry no wife
Give birth to no kids
Accumulate no pets
Because if you’re completely alone
You never have to experience the hurt again

But being alone isn’t right
It isn’t healthy

Being saddened by a death means you’ve lived
Avoiding the sadness from a death means you lived very little
Because relationships is life
Isolation is death

Indeed, it’s a paradox
DEATH IS LIFE

No comments:

Post a Comment