Sunday, September 14, 2014

TODAY I GOT A POINT


TODAY I GOT A POINT
by matt burns

Today I got a point in the tennis game of life
The witty fairy visited me last night
And sprinkled witty dust
Over my head
And I smacked my lips
And rolled over once or twice
Coated myself with the dust
And continued my great slumber

I woke up the next day
I went to the pharmacy
I went to the liquor store
I went to the taco shop

The clerks and cashiers and pharmacists
All threw witty remarks at me
Normally I would not play tennis with them
I wouldn’t even attempt to hit the tennis ball
But today I did
I played tennis with them
And I answered their witty remarks
With even wittier remarks

Normally I wish it were socially acceptable
To just say pass
Because I’m not in the mood
Yes, I just want to say ‘pass’
I do not want to play tennis with you
Because I’m not spontaneous
And I’m not quick enough

But I rallied with them today
The tennis ball went back and forth
They eventually swung and missed
And I got a point this time

Today
I got a point

No comments:

Post a Comment