Saturday, September 20, 2014

TWO MELANCHOLY POEMS





REMEMBER THIS MOMENT
by matt burns

Remember this moment
Walking down the lake road
The path is a dirty one
Dusty, too
You walk the dog
Feeling like a zombie
On a different frequency
A very low one
Almost hell
The depression’s pulling you into the dirt
A bunch of devils
And demons
Clinging onto you
Dragging you down
And down
Down

Remember this moment
Write it down
Because if you ever shake this feeling
And if there ever is a time
When you’re happy
And things are going quite well
You’ll want to look back on this
And realize how far you’ve come
And not take it for granted




I’LL LEAVE JUST AS EMPTY
by matt burns

Long day so far
A long week
A long month
Long year
A long life

Lunch time
I’m hungry
In the stomach
And in the soul

I pull over into the nearest parking lot
I dial the local sub shop
I order a chicken parm sub
The girl asks if I want skosted
I say what
She says toasted
I say yes
She says ten minutes
I hang up

I suddenly notice I’m in a church parking lot
I didn’t mean for this
I did it subconsciously

I want to walk in and find sanctuary
I need a place that provides such a thing
A place to retreat
Recharge
And regroup

But I’ve been to the church before
And there are some statues
Some murals
An altar
And some holy water
But nothing much else

I’ll walk in there
I’ll have so much hope
But I’ll be let down
And I’ll leave just as hungry 
As I was when I walked in

I put my car in drive
And I leave the parking lot to get my sub
If I can't fill my soul
At least I can fill my stomach

I wish the church could be my sanctuary
But it isn’t
No matter how bad I want it to be

No comments:

Post a Comment