Tuesday, March 11, 2014

BY THE OCEAN SHORE and SELF-FULFILLED PROPHECY



BY THE OCEAN SHORE
by matt burns

I’m standing barefoot by the shore
The sound of the waves crashing
The ocean breathing in and out
The earth’s lungs inhaling and exhaling

I’m no longer at war with judgment
The judgment from the outside world
From friends
From parents
From family
From the news personalities
And the celebrity personalities
And the TV Doctors
And the talk-show hosts
And the politicians
And the priests

I no longer have to constantly be on guard
And ready to shield myself from the great, sharp swords
Those swords that the aforementioned outside sources
Wield 
And swing my way
And try to pierce my soul with

The fight is long
The fight is hard
The fight is constant
And the fight is oh so tiring

On the ocean shore
With the war against judgment over
And there’s no more pain
From the battle wounds
And I’m no longer so tired
From the fight…
That’s what heaven will be like for me

I close my eyes
And I go to that happy place

And it keeps me going for another day




SELF-FULFILLED PROPHECY
by matt burns

The wife was so worried that something terrible would happen to him
She didn’t know what she’d ever do without him
She constantly feared a day that she would be without her husband
She was constantly worried about him
Even while he was out running simple errands
In the car
Or even by foot

Saturday afternoon was one of those days
He took a little longer getting home from the grocery store
Fear was getting the better of her while she was doing laundry
She decided to text him

Five minutes from home
Her husband heard his smartphone beep
He checked the text
He took his eyes off the road
He veered into the oncoming lane
He crashed head-on with another car
Both drivers died

Her biggest fear
Self-fulfilled

There is a beast that creeps around corners
And lurks in the shadows of your mind
And this beast wrests you from trust and faith
And when you abandon trust and faith
Bad things happen
And you can become the instrument from which those
Bad
Things
Happen

That beast is known as fear

No comments:

Post a Comment