Friday, March 7, 2014

TWO POEMS BORN OUT OF THE WITCHING HOUR


Here are two poems inspired by how I felt one late night around 3:30 in the morning...



WISH I COULD PAUSE AT 3:33
by matt burns

I have a really good buzz
Going
And I wish time could stop
At 3:33
Because I feel so good
And I just want time to stop here
So I can just chill
With this buzz
Watch some TV
Chill
Ride it
And not let morning come
Not let reality come
Not let the no job come
Not let the bills come
Not let the no money come
Not let my stomach get hungry again
And growl
Not let my thirst need quenching
Or my body need maintaining
Or my teeth need cleaning

I wish time could just stop here
I want to stay here on this couch
In the dark
With the nice buzz going
And the TV flickering
Beverly Hillbillies is on
It’s an Oldies station, late night TV
They don’t expect high ratings at this time a night
So they put on the calmer, old stuff
No Reality TV in your face
No negative world news being barked
Just stuff that keeps you calm

The more time that goes by
The more money you need
And the more depressed you get
And the more alcohol you drink
And the more your body withers

So I wish I could just stay here
In this moment
Nice buzz
Beverly Hillbillies
Forever




COULD JUST BE PLAYING THE PART
by matt burns

I’m sitting here on the couch
It’s really late at night
I feel a dark cloud over me
A dark depression weighing me down
I just want to cash in now, honey
I just want to throw in the towel
O misery!
I’m full of despair

But I’m not really sure whether I’m just being dramatic
I might just be playing the part
The part of the man who’s at the end of his rope
Instead of actually being at the end of my rope

I’ve seen this despaired character in movies
And TV
Plays
Read the part in books
So I’m not sure how real the depression is

I have surrounded myself with so many characters
From all the various forms of media
So I’m not sure how much of what I feel is real emotion
Or how much of what I feel is canned emotion
From some character 
I’ve seen

All too often I find myself playing a part
As opposed to just being me
But is there such thing as just BEING?
Maybe our brain is forced to gravitate to some character
A character that exists in our bag of Jungian archetypes
We feel unsafe lingering in chaos
Just 'being' is chaos
And we run to the character mold that fits our emotional state best
Because that’s the only way we can process what we’re feeling
Otherwise we panic in the chaos of existence
Emotion is chaos
Feeling is chaos
But what is canned emotion?
Order?
Yes
But also unreality

And living in unreality
Is 
A
Form
Of
D
E
A
T
H

No comments:

Post a Comment