Saturday, March 8, 2014

GETTING KICKS ON ROUTE 66 AND KILLING TIME


DRIFTING ON ROUTE 66
by matt burns

I’ve spent my life on Route 66
My family rode up and down it every summer
And then I grew up and wrote my first book about it
And then I wrote three more books
Then I hosted a TV documentary about it
And, after that, a five-disc DVD box set
I lived and breathed Route 66

Route 66…
It’s always been a road about getting somewhere
And I think that’s why I’ve always been drawn to it
I’ve always wanted to get somewhere
Better than here
But I’m not sure I’ve ever gotten there
Every time I go from Chicago to LA
I think I’m going to find it
But then I don’t so I try again
And again

I’ve been drifting up and down 66 my whole life
Chasing some evasive carrot
Like Arthur’s quest for the Holy Grail
But I still haven’t gotten the carrot
And I’m not sure I ever will
And I’m not sure I even know what it is
It’s just something to chase
Something to keep me going
And giving me an excuse to live

Even when I die
My ghost will probably still wander 66
Looking for that abstraction
The carrot
And I won’t be alone
There will be other ghosts
Just as there are right now
The ghosts of millions of Americans




KILLING TIME
by matt burns

I had a dream last night that I got a new job
I was sitting at a desk next to my boss
And we were doing something with computers
And there wasn’t really enough to do
So I remember doing needless things
Like cleaning every speck of dust off my desk
And between the computer keys
Taking needless bathroom trips
Filling up my cup at the water bubbler
So I’d have to pee more
And then kill more time going to the bathroom

I’m not sure why I had the dream
But I think it was born out of a trauma
And when I say trauma I don’t mean anything too bad
But I mean a negative feeling
A fear
Because I’ve had one too many jobs
Where I have had to kill time
And for a lot of people this is fine
They’re getting paid to kill time, no work is a good thing
But for me it’s a big fear
Killing time is killing minutes of my life
My precious life force
And my potential human energy
And potential human productivity
Because I know if I was out of the office, on my own
I wouldn’t be forced to kill the time
For the sake of riding out my shift
And collecting my paycheck
I’d be making use of my time
Even if it’s playing video games
Hiking in the forest
Staring into space in the shower thinking
At least there’s no killing involved

My biggest fear
Is having to kill time
Because killing time
Is killing my human spirit
Is killing my life

Is killing my soul

No comments:

Post a Comment