Sunday, March 2, 2014

THREE POEMS INSPIRED BY THE 2014 ACADEMY AWARDS


Here are three poems that kind of popped into my head while I was watching this year's (2014) Oscar ceremony. Read them and enjoy them or hate them, whichever you prefer.



WE ARE ALL ‘THE ONE’
by matt burns

I enjoy watching the Hollywood movies
The movies have characters
These characters are often underdogs
Christ-like figures
Established to be destined for great things
Sometimes they’re even called “The One”
Like Neo from The Matrix
Or Jake from Avatar
Luke Skywalker
John Connor
Bilbo Baggins
Simba
Leonidas
Danielson
Harry Potter
Batman
Ironman
Spiderman…

These characters are special
And I feel these movies are speaking to me, the viewer
They’re making me feel like I’m special
Like I’m destined for great things
Sometimes I even feel like I’m ‘The One’
And the rest of the people in the world
Are just supporting characters

But then I realize these movies are made for the masses
And there are millions of other viewers out there
Having the same one-on-one personal experience
They’re all sitting
Watching the movie
And feeling like they’re being spoken to
And they’re thinking the same thing I am
That they’re special
That they’re “The One”

Hollywood makes us all feel like we’re special
That there is me
And then there are the supporting characters
And me is more important than others
And the world revolves around me
In short
Hollywood has created a society of narcissists

Hollywood has blinded us from our interconnectedness
That we’re all of equal importance
That all our actions combined collectively create importance
That no one of us is “The One”

But, rather, we are all THE ONE




FIND ANOTHER SANDMAN
by matt burns

Hello my name is Hollywood
Watch my movies
Come to me, baby!
I am your Sandman
I will keep reassuring you
That your dream will come true
And even if it doesn’t by the time you die
At least you’ve watched my movies
And have given me a TON of business
Chao, sucker

All right, I’ll level with you
I’ll let you in on a little secret
But you didn’t hear it here
And this is the only time I will speak the truth to you...

Sure dreams come true, ya stupid schmuck!
REAL, healthy dreams come true
But my dreams are pipe dreams
And, yeah, those sometimes come true
But only a select few get those
Yeah, the Best Actress got hers
And Best Actor
Director
Sound Design guy
Short animated film dude
Costume design lady
But for what?
Being involved with a mediocre movie
With watered-down ideas
And watered-down intelligence?
That’s not a dream
It’s a pipe dream
Word of advice, babe
Find another Sandman
Find another dream!

There
The secret is out
Now if you keep on comin’ back to me
After I divulged all that Intel
Which you most likely will
Because you prefer the unreality
To the reality
Then you deserve to be ripped off
And that’s what I get off on, anyway
Giving you the truth, straight up
And seeing you ignore it
And just keep on coming back to me
Like a pathetic piece of lowest common denominator
I have no respect for you
Can’t say I didn’t warn ya!
Chao!




REMEMBERING THE WIZARD OF OZ
by matt burns

It’s been 75 years since the movie premiered
The Oscars are doing a special memorial
Liza and the other children are in the audience
A singer named Pink is singing “Somewhere Over the Rainbow”
And there are images from the film playing behind her
“Somewhere Over the Rainbow”
It’s a song about following your dreams
Same with the film
It’s a movie about following your dreams
It’s saying the American dream is out there
Somewhere
Over the rainbow
All you gotta do is believe

What the Academy fails to show
At any point during the memorial
Are pictures of Judy Garland
In the 1960s
The burnt-out Judy Garland
The Garland who died of a barbiturate overdose
At the young age of 47
Some say it was a suicide
Others insist it was an accident
But either way…
It was a tragic demise
And she died young

Maybe they should have shown those pictures
The ones where she’s burnt out
Drugged up
Or at least mentioned that she died young
Self-medicating herself from the pain of true reality
Not the American Dream
But true reality

Maybe they should stop lying to people
And show what’s at the end of the pretty rainbow
Maybe they should reveal the wizard behind the curtain
And show that the wizard is a very dark
Sinister
And fucked
Up
Man

Maybe they should show
The dark side
To this “American Dream”

No comments:

Post a Comment